Saturday, 16 February 2013

Another warning

In the same one of the Screwtape Letters containing the passage that I quoted in my last post, the following is written:

Any small coterie, bound together by some interest which other men dislike or ignore, tends to develop inside itself a hothouse mutual admiration, and towards the outer world, a great deal of pride and hatred which is entertained without shame because the ‘Cause’ is its sponsor and it is thought to be impersonal.  Even when the little group exists originally for the Enemy’s [God’s] own purposes, this remains true.  We want the Church to be small not only that fewer men may know the Enemy but also that those who do may acquire the uneasy intensity and defensive self-righteousness of a secret society or a clique.

I take this as a warning to myself, one which I’ve referred to in another previous post.

6 comments:

Ilíon said...

Myself, I think your personal temptation is to go too far in the other direction.

mattghg said...

I thought you might say something like that

Ilíon said...

Well, of course you did ... for, after all, you think that my personal temptation is to go waaaaaaaaaay too far in the direction discussed in the OP.

mattghg said...

Well, my online persona doesn't precisely match up to what I'm like in real life, where not everything I say has been thought about at length before I come out with it. What I'm saying is that I'm more tempted towards 'uneasy intensity and defensive self-righteousness' in conversation, say, than I am on this blog.

Ilíon said...

There is that.

Abecedarius Rex said...

You may enjoy this series by a colleague of mine. There is an accompanying ibook as well (not to shamelessly promote the material but, shameless promotion!!!!)

C.S.Lewis biography